Here, for example, is part of the secret oath taken by members of the American Protective Association in 1893: "I furthermore promise and swear that I will not countenance the nomination, in any caucus or convention, of a Roman Catholic for any office in the gift of the American people, and that I will not vote for, or counsel others to vote for, any Roman Catholic, but will vote only for a Protestant, so far as may lie in my power.
What does APA stand for?
APA stands for American Protective Association
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of APA
We have 762 other meanings of APA in our Acronym Attic
- American Physiotherapy Association
- American Pilots Association
- American Pinzgauer Association (Cedar Hill, TN)
- American Planning Association
- American Plywood Association (now the Engineered Wood Association)
- American Podiatry Association
- American Polygraph Association
- American Poolplayers Association
- American Poultry Association
- American Powerlifters Association (est. 1987; Vermont)
- American Protestant Association
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Psychological Association
- American Psychotherapy Association
- American Publishers Association
- American Pulpwood Association
- American Pyrotechnics Association
- Americanist Phonetic Alphabet
- Amerindian Peoples Association
- Amphibious Transport
Samples in periodicals archive:
During the 1890s discontented white Protestants formed the virulently anti-Catholic American Protective Association, the Immigrant Restriction League and the Anti-Saloon League.