Less than four months after a gay marriage bill was suddenly shelved in the Maryland House after passage in the Senate proponents are preparing a new effort, , Freedom to Marry, Progressive Maryland, labor unions Service Employees International Union and Communications Workers of America, and the American Civil Liberties Union.
What does ACLU stand for?
ACLU stands for American Civil Liberties Union
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of ACLU
We have 28 other meanings of ACLU in our Acronym Attic
- American Chestnut Land Trust
- Anchorage Community Land Trust (est. 2003; Anchorage, AK)
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament Transection (surgical procedure)
- Ashland Community Land Trust (est. 1998; Ashland, OR)
- Associated Contract Loggers and Truckers (of Minnesota)
- Association Canadienne de Loisir Therapeutique (French: Canadian Therapeutic Recreation Association)
- Avoid Clichés Like The Plague
- Adult and Community Learning Unit (UK)
- Adventurous Cowboys Living Underwater (Prairie Home Companion)
- Afghan Construction & Logistics Unit
- American College of Life Underwriters (now American College; insurance)
- Anti-Christian Litigation Unit
- American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina Foundation
- American Civil Liberties Union of Arizona
- Air Capital Linux Users Group (Wichita, KA)
- American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts
- American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada
- American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania
- Anti-Corporate League of the United States of America (USA)
- American Civil Liberties Union of South Carolina
Samples in periodicals archive:
NEW YORK, June 21 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The American Civil Liberties Union today released a report summarizing the civil liberties and civil rights record of U.
The Nevada attorney general’s office must cut the American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada a check for $145,823.
So Radin called the American Civil Liberties Union, and we took action on his behalf.
ITEM: "The 'intelligent design' movement is et disguised form of religion and should not be taught in public schools, said an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union who specializes in the freedom of religion," reported the Louisville Courier Journal for November 4.
Instead, 50 Ways--subtitled "The Complete Guide to Supporting Family, Friends, Neighbors or Yourself"--offers exceedingly benign views from representatives of such organizations as Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, the Human Rights Campaign, Lambda Legal, and the American Civil Liberties Union as well as activists and writers including Judy Shepard, the Reverend Troy Perry, and The Advocate's Anne Stockwell.
CHALLENGING THE SYSTEM: Ask students to think about how and why teacher Scopes and the American Civil Liberties Union challenged the law in Tennessee, rather than abide by it.
Tim Butz, director of the Nebraska state chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, said that two state troopers tried to intimidate him after he screened Unconstitutional: The War on Our Civil Liberties, a documentary that criticizes the USA Patriot Act, reports AP.