Another leaked Gitmo file says that former detainee Abdul Hafiz, who quickly rejoined the Taliban's jihad after being transferred in December 2009, was part of an insurgency group that "consisted of 40 to 60 Taliban and HIG fighters who were ordered by a Quetta-based Taliban commander on a mission to conduct attacks against Westerners and Afghans sympathetic to the Afghan Transitional Authority.
What does ATA stand for?
ATA stands for Afghan Transitional Authority
This definition appears somewhat frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of ATA
We have 459 other meanings of ATA in our Acronym Attic
- Advanced Tactical Aircraft
- Advanced Technologies Academy (Las Vegas, NV)
- Advanced Technology Academy
- Advanced Technology Aircraft
- Advanced Technology Attachment (IDE Interface for IBM-PC/AT & compatible computers)
- Advanced Test Accelerator
- Adventure Training Award
- Aerospace Testing Alliance (Arnold AFB, TN)
- Affordable Trooper Armor (Star Wars costume)
- Afghan Taekwon-Do Association (martial arts)
- Africa Travel Association
- African Technical Association (South Africa)
- Agreement to Agree (contingent contract)
- Agricultural Tenancies Act (UK)
- Aid to Artisans (Newtown, MA)
- Air Tasking Authority
- Air Traffic Authority
- Air Transport Association
- Air Transport Authority
- Air Transportation Association of America
Samples in periodicals archive:
ISAF's mission was to maintain security in Kabul and the surrounding areas so the Afghan Transitional Authority and UN agencies could begin rebuilding the country.
In October 2003 (UNSC Res 1510, Oct 13/03) the Security Council expanded the ISAF mandate "to allow it, as resources permit, to support the Afghan Transitional Authority and its successors in the maintenance of security in areas of Afghanistan outside Kabul and its environs.
Also featured in the film are Hamid Karzai, President of the Afghan Transitional Authority, who emphasizes the need to develop an "Afghan-style democracy;" Ismail Khan, the controversial warlord of Herat who helped the U.
We deal with the local maliks, mullahs and mayors, as well as the Afghan Transitional Authority, so if someone is not co-operating I just pick up the phone and fix a face-to-face with the relevant minister," says Captain Pledger.
As part of ISAF--a force of 5000 representing 29 nations--Canadian troops will help maintain security in Kabul and the surrounding areas as well as provide assistance to the Afghan Transitional Authority and UN relief agencies.
Of this amount, $200 million is in the form of interest-free soft loans from the Saudi Development Fund (SDF) to finance development projects, and $20 million as an emergency grant to the Afghan Transitional Authority.
The squad, called a military observation team, is working closely with the Afghan national police force and Afghan Transitional Authority to police villages in the area.