That chapter addresses additional topics: international cooperation; relations with the human space progra m; the gamma-ray, X-ray, optical, infrared, and radio-astronomy programs; general relativity; the Hubble Space Telescope; the Chandra X-Ray Observatory, formerly known as the Advanced X-Ray Astrophysics Facility (AXAF); the Space Infrared Telescope Facility (SIRTF); the Compton Gamma Ray Observatory (CGRO); and an extrapolation of the future.
What does AXAF stand for?
AXAF stands for Advanced X-Ray Astrophysics Facility
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
We have 3 other meanings of AXAF in our Acronym Attic
- ApplicationXtender 5
- Alpha Chi Alpha
- Anguilla, Anguilla (Airport Code)
- Animal Crossing Ahead (online forum community/guide to the game Animal Crossing)
- Antifactor Xa Activity (anesthesiology)
- Auxiliary Artery
- Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (also seen as JAXA)
- Airman Apprentice, Aviation Antisubmarine Warfare Technician Striker (Naval Rating)
- Australian X-ray Analytical Association
- Advanced Extensible Markup Language Application Development
- Advanced X-ray Astrophysics Facility - Retrieval
- Asynchronous XHTML and HTTP (Extensible Hypertext Markup Language and Hypertext Transfer Protocol)
- Airman, Aviation Antisubmarine Warfare Technician Striker (Naval Rating)
- AxcessBoarding (est. 2005; sports simulation)
- Airborne/Air Expendable Bathythermograph
- Axial-Ratio Bandwidth
- Add Cross-Connect Card
- Antenna Carrier (telecommunications)
- Aortic Cross-Clamping (vascular surgery)
- Architecture X Construction (French architecture firm)
Samples in periodicals archive:
5 billion Chandra X-Ray Observatory, formerly known as the Advanced X-Ray Astrophysics Facility (SN: 1/3/98, p.
Originally dubbed the Advanced X-ray Astrophysics Facility, the satellite was renamed in December after a contest that drew more than 6,000 entries.
November * Dubbed the Hubble Space Telescope of the X-ray universe, the Advanced X-Ray Astrophysics Facility (AXAF takes a one-way ride on the shuttle.
Also, the company was chosen to design and test the key optical system used in NASA's Advanced X-Ray Astrophysics Facility (AXAF).
Originally called the Advanced X-ray Astrophysics Facility, the Chandra X-ray Observatory was renamed by NASA in December 1998 in honor of the late Indian-American Nobel Laureate Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar, widely regarded as one of the 20th century's foremost astrophysicists.
Once planned as a single spacecraft, the Advanced X-ray Astrophysics Facility will now consist of two spacecraft -- one for imaging and one for performing high-energy, high-resolution spectroscopy, Goldin says the change should save $300 million on the project's estimated $2.
The ceremonial "rollout" of the satellite formerly known as the Advanced X-ray Astrophysics Facility (AXAF) was held at the company's satellite integration facilities in Redondo Beach.