The idea is to install small reactors that use natural uranium to generate power, the waste that emerges from this can then be used as fuel in so called "fast breeder reactors" and finally a completely new kind of reactor the Advanced Heavy Water Reactor a plant that feeds on the abundant thorium reserves could generate enough electricity to power the nation for 250 years, fulfilling India's quest for energy independence.
What does AHWR stand for?
AHWR stands for Advanced Heavy Water Reactor
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
We have 1 other meaning of AHWR in our Acronym Attic
- Atlantic Health and Wellness Institute Inc. (Canada)
- Available Housing Withdrawal Limit (Singapore)
- Assessing the Health and Welfare of Laboratory Animals (Newcastle University; Newcastle, Australia)
- Africa Health Workforce Observatory (Republic of Congo)
- Australian Health Workforce Officials Committee
- A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (David Eggers book)
- Ad Hoc Working Party (various locations)
- Annual Habitat Work Plan (US FWS)
- Asian Harmonization Working Party
- Atlantic Home Warranty Program (Canada; est. 1976)
- Australasian Hair and Wool Research Society
- Aboriginal Healing and Wellness Strategy (Canada)
- Advanced HARM Work Station
- Alan Howard Waldorf School (Toronto, Canada)
- Animal Health Welfare Strategy (UK)
- Aon Home Warranty Services (Aon Corporation)
- alt.horror.werewolves (Usenet newsgroup)
- Aufbereitete Hydraulisch Wirksame Zusatzstoffe (German: Effective Additives Prepared Hydraulically)
- Abyss' Highest eXperience
- Aerospace Hardware Exchange
Samples in periodicals archive:
NEW DELHI, June 11 -- Indian nuclear scientists have successfully tested a new advanced heavy water reactor to burn thorium, breaking new ground at the Baba Atomic Research Centre (BARC) in Mumbai.
India has announced that a prototype advanced heavy water reactor is slated for construction.