Byline: ELWYN ROBERTS A SOLDIER, currently absent without leave, has been remanded in custody on a robbery charge.
What does AWOL stand for?
AWOL stands for Absent Without Leave
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of AWOL
We have 21 other meanings of AWOL in our Acronym Attic
- Animal Welfare Organization Insurance Program (Hanover, PA)
- Automated Wreck and Obstruction Information System (NOAA)
- Association of Women's Organizations in Jamaica
- A Week of Kindness (sketch comedy group)
- A Way of Life
- A Work of Love (various organizations)
- A World of Learning (educational program; various locations)
- Absence Without Official Leave
- Absent While On Line :-)
- Absent Without Authorized Leave
Samples in periodicals archive:
The Minister gave strict suspension warning to all who will be absent without leave in future.
When I retired in 2009 on my pension statement it stated 'deductions, 13 days absent without leave, March 1979' .
But he drifted through the World Cup, scoring just once -- in Portugal's 7-0 demolition of North Korea -- and going absent without leave in their last-16 exit at the hands of Spain.
Summary: Lance Corporal Joe Glenton, who went absent without leave rather than serve a second tour in Afghanistan, has been jailed.
A SOLDIER who went absent without leave (awol) rather than serve a second tour in Afghanistan was jailed for nine months yesterday.
POLICE are today continuing their hunt for an absent without leave Birmingham soldier.
He went absent without leave in 2007 before handing himself in after two years and six days.